A Bit About Myself
Dedicated to Wellbeing
Hi, I am Terri Miles.
Welcome to my website! Thank you for taking the time to understand who I am and how my talents can be aligned to meet your needs.
I specialize in one on one or duet private yoga sessions and small (up to 5 people) group classes. I am confident that my training and teaching experience can be tailored to meet your particular needs. This is the power of a private fitness session and/or a private yoga session. Everything revolves around your needs.
I have been in the fitness industry since 1997. I have taught in gyms, health clubs and yoga studios. Throughout my teaching experience, people, who work with me, have told me that I possess the following traits:
1. Awareness: I have such a keen sense of awareness that enables me to serious and at the same time find the humor in any situation. What this means for you is that my private yoga one on one sessions will always be productive, effective and fun.
2. Creative: I am very creative such that I able to create a choreography that is safe but more importantly meets the needs of the students. For you, this means, you will be safe.
3. Invest in my Training: I invest in my Certifications and Trainings and thus I bring the state of the art to the Stafford and Fredericksburg community. So, what does my investment in Certifications and Trainings mean to you? It means that you will always have the latest information (like how to safely do a yoga pose or exercise) as well as the results of medical studies as applied to yoga.
4. Innovative in my Teaching Styles: Before creating and founding Ayurga(TM) as a teaching style and business in 2018, I have had been honored to bring other innovations to the Fredericksburg-Stafford area. For you, this means, that I will use all the appropriate trainings, that I have taken, in order to meet your needs.
-In Feb 2006, I brought the concept of Yoga Strength (i.e. the concept of using weights with yoga poses to find strength) and is now taught in some health clubs and gyms.
-In Aug 2011, after being Certified in Hot Yoga, I brought the concept of Hot Yoga into the community. As you can see, several yoga studios in the Stafford and Fredericksburg area now specialize in Hot Yoga.
- In Feb 2014, I was one of the first instructors in the East Coast to be certified to teach Yoga on the Indo Board® (a specially designed Stand-Up Paddle board). I taught this in a Yoga Studio but it was not a financial draw.
- In August 2014, after taking a Yin Yoga Intensive Teacher Training from Bernie Clark, one of Yin Yoga creators and master trainer, I brought the concept of Yin Yoga to the community. Prior to August 2014, all the yoga classes in the area were formatted to be yang yoga. No one offered Yin Yoga. Now, several gyms and yoga studios, in the Stafford and Fredericksburg area offer Yin Yoga classes.
5. Observant: While teaching in Health clubs, gyms and yoga studios, I observed that each and everyone of them is primarily a businesses. In light of this, each and everyone of them cater to the needs of the main stream students, akin to a "one-size-fit-all" concept. However, as you know, there are times that "one-size-fit-all" does not work. I am referring to students that have special needs (i.e. recovering from a surgery - be it knee, back; pregnant; etc) that are not addressed. With a private one on one yoga session, this means I can conduct a full assessment (i.e. your physical condition today, create a one time private yoga session or a series of private yoga sessions that will meet your short term and long term goals, safe and state of the art.
So, why is helping you so important to me? My dharma (Sanskrit word which means one's destiny or purpose) is to help people. I created AYURGA™ so that I can help you achieve your short and long term goals and needs though the various aspects of yoga. Through my training and teaching experience, I have learned that "teaching Yoga" has two major components, training (i.e. knowledge) and teaching (i.e. practical).
- I have successfully completed the 200-hour (RYT 200) and 500-hour (RYT 500) yoga teacher training curriculums.
- I continue to further my knowledge of Ayurveda and Yoga by taking courses (continuing education units (CEUs)) that I feel will meet the current and future needs of my clients and students. I am also a member of the International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYA).
-On the practical teaching aspect, I have successfully achieved my E-rating (i.e. Yoga Alliance requirement, minimum of 1000 hours of teaching calculated from the completion of an RYT) for RYT 200 and RYT 500.
Having both RYT Certificates and “E”-rating enables me to successfully guide you in meeting your personal goals.
I am happily married since June 1990.
the ancient Hindu art of medicine and of prolonging life.
Sanskrit, equivalent to āyur- life, vital power + veda knowledge
any of the methods or disciplines prescribed, especially a series of postures and breathing exercises practiced to achieve control of the body and mind, tranquillity, etc.
The meaning of the word "Yoga" is "union". It is derived from the Sanskrit root "yuj," (pron. "yug") meaning "to join", "to unite" but also "to subjugate", with the meaning also "to control" and "to disciplinate".